Most publishers of children’s books receive north of 10,000 unsolicited submission a year. What will you do to make sure your story stands out?
You can hire a professional children’s book editor to ensure your book is top-notch.
3 things I can do as a children’s book editor:
Help you refine the story
- Will every child end your book with a smile? I help you fine-tune the story so that kids will want to read it again and again. To do this, you have to avoid cliched stories, have rising action, get the pacing right, and have a climax.
Focus on the characters
- Are you creating memorable characters? And do your characters have a wide appeal? And do they stand apart from other characters? My advice will help you create a character that children won’t ever forget.
Focus on the language
- The difference between the right word and the almost right word is like the difference between desert and dessert. The most common edit I make is condensing — most writers have a lot of extra phrases tacked on, and because children’s books are so short, every word carries enormous weight.
A Little Bit About Me:
I’ve been an editor since 2009, and children’s books are one of my favorite books to work with. Every year I help 80 – 120 authors to realize their dream of publishing a children’s book.
Before my time as a children’s book editor, I taught creative writing and children’s literature at 4 universities in Southern California. Also, my book, “I Will Shout Your Name,” is forthcoming from Press 53.
On a personal note, I have twin boys who are 4, and I read to them every night from our collection of over 1,000 children’s books.
What does the editing process look like?
- You contact me with any questions you might have, and I answer them.
- You use the Paypal button below, and email me your manuscript.
- Within 5 days I get back to you with edits within the manuscript and an essay describing what your story is doing well and where it could be improved.
- If you have any questions about my comments, I clarify what I meant.
My Style of Editing:
I am both gentle and firm.
I make a point of telling you all the wonderful things in your story, but also gently suggest the places where it could improve.
As a writer myself, I know it’s difficult showing your work to the world, and I want to encourage you through the revision process.
If you want me to be harder or easier on you, feel free to tell me that in an email when you send your stories, and I can accommodate your needs.
“I recently got my children’s book manuscript edited by John Fox. I was very happy with the fast communication I had received from him. John provided great feedback, made great changes, and also answered all my questions. I have recommended John to a few of my friends and will continue to do so. Thank you again John for making me feel confident in my manuscript.”
– Jaz Tut
“John was extremely helpful and very honest. All of his thoughtful comments made total sense. Will definitely use him again.”
– Karen Sherwood
“John provides just the right combination of encouragement and solid feedback that can greatly improve a piece of fiction. What I particularly like about John’s approach is his ability to understand where a writer is developmentally and speak to him or her on that level. As a teacher, he is totally approachable, clear in the points he makes and very enthusiastic.”
– Maisie Wheeler
“As an unpublished author, I wasn’t at all sure about using John’s editing service. I am very glad that I did! His edits and suggestions for my children’s story were excellent. One of the main differences was the ‘voice’ of the story. His suggestions made the ‘voice’ more clear. That is important in any story, but I think especially for children. What I had written (the draft that I sent him) was in more of a speaking voice, the way that you would tell the story out loud to children. But, when I read his suggestions, I realized that he had made it more the way the written word should be.”
– Irene Walsh
“I can’t say enough about John Fox! I’ve discovered that writing a children’s book is quite different than what I’m used to, and John supplied me with information I didn’t even know to look for. His commentary was extremely thorough and eye-opening, and the time he spent analyzing my manuscript is obvious. Not only did I receive an amazing critique, but the way he explained what I was missing was educational. It’s invaluable information I can use again and again! If anyone is shopping for an editor for their children’s book, John is, hands down, my recommendation.”
– Sarah Flores
Under 1000 words: $200
1000 – 1500 words: $250
1500 – 2000 words: $300
If your children’s book is above that word count, please contact me using the form below and I can quote you a price.
If you have a middle-grade book, contact me with the total word count and I can give you pricing.
After paying, email me your story:
Have a Question?