This is a list of publishers seeking short story collections, and it’s the most comprehensive list on the internet. I’ve read short story collections from most of the publishers on this list and altogether they are publishing some of the best short fiction on the planet.

Despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the publishing of short story collections (and it’s true — agents almost always only want that novel), there are still a number of solid markets and contests for that short story collection of yours.

For the publishers who offer short story collection contests, I’ve tried to list the name of the contest afterwards.

If you enjoy this list, I also hope you enjoy some of the other lists I’ve created here at Bookfox.

I’ve broken up the places to submit your short story collection into three parts: The Independent publishers, the Big Houses, and the Academic/University Presses.

If you’d like help with your short story, I offer an editing service that will take your story to the next level.

From copy-editing to character advice, I give detailed feedback on what’s working and what needs to be improved.

Read more…

I don’t mean to imply any kind of hierarchy with this, because I think there are advantages to going with each. The Big House will get you more potential readers, the Independents will fight for you with independent bookstores and champion your book, and the University Presses often offer a home for the most innovative and exciting work being published.

The best place to submit your short story collection is with the press that has published your favorite collections.

I know that sounds obvious, but if you dislike some of the short stories that a press has published, they are not waiting for you to convert them by your brilliant (but different) kind of writing. No, they love what they’re publishing, and respect that taste rather than trying to change it.

Go for it: submit your best short story collection now.

Independent:

Big Houses:

Academic:

If you’d like professional editing for your short story collection before you send it to publishers (or if you’ve been rejected from a few and want to improve it), please look at my short story editing page.

I offer single-story editing as well as short story collection editing.

By editing, I’m not talking about just proofreading or copy-editing, I’m talking about an in-depth evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of your collection, and how to improve them.

Write Better Books.

Receive a free copy of "DEFEAT WRITER'S BLOCK"

when you subscribe to my weekly newsletter.

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

68 Comments

• Josh / April 26, 2013 at 4:33 pm Reply

Actually I should have left my comment here. We publish a pocket sized collection of experimental short fiction, funded on kickstarter, nationally distributed. Killing it.

• Keith / April 16, 2018 at 1:20 pm Reply

I’ve got a collection of short stories, 80% have appeared in now defunct on-line zines like Underground Voices, My Favorite Bullet, Cherry Bleeds, Zygote in my coffee, and I’d like to find a publisher. It’s edited and the artwork is done.

• Sharon / October 29, 2018 at 1:13 pm Reply

Hello! May I ask what genre’ you are looking for?

• otis / August 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm Reply

Thanks for this. Otis

• Chris / September 22, 2013 at 11:59 pm Reply

Hello,

I thought that I’d add one for you that we also accept short stories at Brine Books Publishing.

We are a new publishing house, but have good goals as we are publishing the books in order to try to raise awareness on important human rights issues while raising funds for charities and non-profits that work in the various sectors.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Brine Books Publishing

• Caroline / October 10, 2013 at 9:58 pm Reply

I’m trying to find publishers of short stories that will take me seriously because I’m just 14 and people automatically assume my stories are bad because of my age. This helped a lot so thank you.

• Ndiritu wahome / October 29, 2013 at 6:32 pm Reply

This is interesting, I will get around to send a query to these publishers:)

• C. L Rossman / July 31, 2014 at 8:36 pm Reply

C’mon, would a COMPUTER write a comment about short stories?
    What I wanted to ask was, Are any of you listed up there interested in science-fiction short stories? Please e-amil me. I’ve had more than 20 short stories published in the past few years, but my best markets folded, and now all the liksts have gone on a puying basis.
    PS–Please allow for very slow and tired home computer to reply. Half the time it can’t even get on the net. Thank you. Would really appreciate some input

• Natisha Parsons / August 18, 2015 at 9:04 am Reply

As an unknown and not in the position to self publish, how can I get my collection of short stories noticed? The collection is based on a sermon that touched eight members of the congregation and each story deals with the individual and how he/she responded and, in a sense, their tough, back-to-righteous-living testimony. There are so many obstacles placed by the publishing companies I have seen that I wonder if they only deal with known writers.

• Bookfox (Author) / August 18, 2015 at 9:41 pm Reply

I would work on your pitch more. I would also only contact religious publishers, as it seems this might be a decent fit for them. See if any of these Christian publishers accept short story collections.

• Lydia / September 7, 2015 at 1:15 pm Reply

Good day please assist me. I want to share my life story where do I go about to get it read and published?

• Robin Vigfusson / September 8, 2015 at 8:45 pm Reply

Thank you. This is really excellent. Bookmarking this page.

• WestM / October 28, 2015 at 8:08 am Reply

OK so I have my short story collection ready. For the big houses, how do I go about pitching to them? I’ve looked, for instance, at the Dial Press link you posted. I don’t see ANY contacts listed for queries, and I take that to mean, “Go away, you short story writers,” but I’m not sure how to tell. Advice on who to query, and how to figure out what each place wants in terms of submissions/queries? Thanks.

• Bookfox (Author) / October 28, 2015 at 2:52 pm Reply

For big houses, you need an agent. Many others are also only agented — Tin House, Grove/Atlantic, Graywolf.

That’s why contests get so many submissions — those are the main places where you have a shot.

• WestM / October 29, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Thank you for the quick reply, and I guess this helps me figure out where to begin, since I don’t have an agent. Thank you again!

• Misty Eilert / December 29, 2015 at 2:56 am Reply

My daughter is 12 and just finished the first book of a short story series. This is exactly the information I was looking for, thank you!!

• Rory Fyfe Smith / February 3, 2016 at 4:25 pm Reply

I like to publish short stories too.

• Ines C Rothen / February 23, 2016 at 9:12 am Reply

I am 77 and have published 10 books,. The first three are my autobiography of which two were published by Austin Macauley. I did not know that they were essentially self publishers. Anyhow in the two years the first two were published there has not been a single review. The last of my autobiography I have self published with createspace. Also in the same way my first novel TOBIAS STOLLER’S FARM (blue version). No reviews either (on Amazon). I have a trilogy which I have sent to countless agents and all have refused – nicely saying it was above average but no thanks. I have sent the same to two publishers six months ago and despite polite ‘we let you know’ there is no respons. why is everything so hard? Now I have three volumes of short stories (36 over the three volumes and I have sent off a couple of singles to magazines. Everywhere is a three month wait. I am at the point of giving up. What’s the point! There are too many writers anyway.

• Daniel / March 24, 2016 at 12:27 pm Reply

Thanks for all the great lists.

Thinkerbeat Press: independent publisher, seeking short stories for anthologies.
    press.thinkerbeat.com

• Chester / October 25, 2016 at 8:31 am Reply

Great list. You can also try to submit your stories on getinkspired.com. Its a platform for independent writers to get published and reach new audience.

• Lionel / November 11, 2016 at 8:01 am Reply

Hello I have a collection of good short stories coz I’m running none profitable organization that helps young talents to be seen, so how can you assist this young people with their talents

• Bookfox (Author) / November 12, 2016 at 9:53 am Reply

Have you considered self publishing? Either way, if you need an editor to help clean up the prose before publication, I’m available.

• Alex Shutoff / June 30, 2017 at 6:00 am

Hi,
        My name Alex Shutoff . I’m from Sevastopol. Crimea (now Russia). I’m writer from “future”, – this name gave my readers after publishing trilogy “Phantom of the Future”. I want to ask you – can you help me consider self publishing my short stories (all – 5), which connected with my traveling by “Seaking of USA 10 years ago. All 5 short stories by name “Harmonious Feelings” (version – in English language).
        Alex Shutoff – writer “form future”…

• BILLY DYSON / November 19, 2016 at 6:42 am Reply

HELP
    MY WIFE DIED IN JAN OF THIS YEAR, BUT LEFT UNPUBLISHED SHORT STORIES
    HOW DO I ENTER THEM IN SHORT STORY CONTEST.
    WE DID COPYRITE,(their are four)

• Bookfox (Author) / November 20, 2016 at 7:15 pm Reply

Sorry to hear about your wife.

Four short stories aren’t enough for a whole collection. Look up either chapbook competitions (USC Gold Line Press has one), or submit stories one by one to short story competitions. Also, figure out the genre. Most of the competitions on this site are for literary fiction, so if she wrote mystery, romance, westerns, etc. make sure to search for story competitions for those specific genres.

• clara / December 1, 2016 at 1:49 pm Reply

I just finished my short stories that I have written in my home language(SESOTHO)and do not know where to start to be published,please help.

• Bookfox (Author) / December 2, 2016 at 8:19 am Reply

I would recommend translating them if you want to use this list. Then Look at every publisher and see if you think they’re right for your story. Look at their previous collections, look at what journals their authors have published the short stories (maybe some that you have published in), and go for it.

• Kelvin Mangwende / January 6, 2017 at 9:50 pm Reply

Do have short stories competitions

• melanie / January 15, 2017 at 7:31 am Reply

hi, thanks this page, well im looking for a publisher to publish my story,but written in pilipino. 🙁 can you help me or any suggestion?

• Bookfox (Author) / January 15, 2017 at 7:57 am Reply

If you translate it to English many of these publishers would be interested, but I don’t have any publishers listed that serve languages other than English.

• klaas / January 16, 2017 at 3:33 am Reply

I do write childrens short story books as young unknown author and I also written few of them that I will love to be helped with them to get them published. So I hope in here I will get help that I need with my short stories for children….

• Rev. Wayne Farquhar / June 2, 2017 at 4:27 pm Reply

Thank you for this I will try them, or some anyway. I have for a number of years been thinking on the possibility of writing a book. But for some reason there is that little something in me that prevents me from attempting to do so. You see, I have been very fortunate in life in being able to see and experience things of a high nature. I have documented many of my experiences and to put it in book form would – I believe, help many to come to better understand of life here and the other. Maybe this IS the first step towards acheiving that goal. And I do know there are many books out there on this type of stuff, but, NOT what I have. Just have to wait and see, if its meant to be it will certainbly be! Thank you again.

• Tina / June 4, 2017 at 5:45 am Reply

I am interested in writing short stories in Sesotho language, am I allowed? And again where should I get fund for publishing my book?

• Samuel DiMatteo / June 7, 2017 at 2:03 pm Reply

I’ve written a 5400 word true short story about being a suspect in a 1952 Chicago murder case (unsolved), Titled Suspect Sam. It has some twists and turns plus humor.

• Sharon khumalo / July 10, 2017 at 5:58 am Reply

I’ve already started writing a short story about me being hurt emotionally and physically, tittle Story of my life…. i’m looking for a publisher who can publish my story it written in english

• Dr. Sisir Kumar Chatterjee / September 22, 2017 at 7:25 am Reply

We live in India. I teach English Literature in a college. My son, 19, is student of 3 rd Semester , majoring in English Literature. He writes short stories and poems. Quite a few of his short stories have been published in The Statesman. Recently, I have chosen twenty of his short stories and want to get them published in a collection entitled “In Search of a Story.” But I can’t afford to go for self-publishing or even partnered publishing. Jayanta Mahapatra, the celebrated Indian English poet, has written a Foreword to the proposed book. And Sukanta Chaudhuri, Professor Emeritus of the department of English in Jadavpur University, Kolkata, has written a paragraph in praise of the stories of Sinchan Chatterjee ( that’s the name of my son ). Which publishers are likely to accept our proposal for the publication of the proposed book? Please help. Please don’t say, ” you MAY submit your proposal to all the publishers mentioned in the list. Kindly suggest some four or five publishers who will not reject our proposal.

• Bookfox (Author) / September 22, 2017 at 7:38 am Reply

Hi Dr. Chatterjee,

It’s always best if you do the legwork yourself, because you know the manuscript. What publishers you select depends on what type of manuscript it is. Is it experimental? Is it strict realism? Is it cosmopolitan or domestic? But sight unseen, here are a few publishers you could try:

Black Lawrence Press
      C & R Press
      Autumn House Press
      Red Hen Press

If you hired me as an editor, I could give you much more specific advice.

• Stephen / September 23, 2017 at 6:27 am Reply

I have yet to find out how to get a book of short stories published. No one had ever answered this question: How do I get a book of short stories together for publication for a particular genre. i.e. science fiction??? How should I submit a query to a publisher? I have attempted to even publish short stories, yet I get shot down every time. And I know mine are just as good as those I read. Some even better…

• Stephen / October 2, 2017 at 9:32 am Reply

I have not yet received a reply to my question. Is anyone able to help me?

• Bookfox (Author) / October 2, 2017 at 10:37 am Reply

Hi Stephen,

I think your question is a bit too general. Break each section down into parts and then google each one. For instance, there are thousands of blog posts about how to write a good query letter. If you’d like help with how to organize the collection, or which stories to include and what not to include, or what publishers would be a good fit for your collection, I provide that service to clients that I do short story editing for. Please contact me!

• Ruth Imbuye / October 4, 2017 at 3:53 am Reply

Like to know more about what stories ,when the feedback is given and how you pay for short stories.

• Steven Law / October 13, 2017 at 8:02 am Reply

Do you know if these publishers also publish non-fiction story collections?

• Bookfox (Author) / October 13, 2017 at 8:56 am Reply

Essay collections? Some of them might, but I was focusing just on short story fiction publishers.

• Fran / November 16, 2017 at 2:27 pm Reply

I’m interested in publishing a book of very short stories/ snippets of true life experiences (day to day things) and people watching. Is there a market for this and do you know of any particular or specific publishers you can recommend that would be interested in publishing this type of work?

• Bookfox (Author) / November 16, 2017 at 6:29 pm Reply

These publishers are mostly looking for fiction, I believe. For nonfiction shorts, you can check out Brevity.

Best,
      John

• G Singh / November 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm Reply

• Scath Beorh / June 7, 2018 at 8:35 am Reply

Life stories are almost always self-published unless you are a celebrity. You can self-publish through CreateSpace on Amazon. It’s free to do that.

• Rose / January 17, 2018 at 11:01 am Reply

I just need a publisher. I have a small book ready…I’m also a young writer, not revealing my age until i find a publisher.

• Thomas Gambrell / January 31, 2018 at 10:06 am Reply

Yes, I am not an author, but I found a short story a few years back in and old barn. I believe it was written in the mid to late 1800’s. What should to I do to see if anyone would buy it. It is in the original hand writing and unsigned. Thank You

• suresh / March 8, 2018 at 10:54 pm Reply

I am 65+ .Lives in India . I used to write in Marathi . I publish on a freeread site . Is any publisher interested ?

• Bookfox (Author) / March 10, 2018 at 1:16 pm Reply

If it’s published already, publishers are usually not interested.

• Ralvell Rogers II / April 12, 2018 at 1:38 am Reply

I was skimming through a few of these companies, but I was having a difficult time finding someone interested in publishing a collection of short stories and poetry. Any suggestions?

• Bookfox (Author) / April 14, 2018 at 11:44 am Reply

I don’t know anyone who does blends. It’s usually all poetry or all short stories. But if the stories are almost poems, sometimes a poetry publisher will publish prose-like poetry/stories.

• willie whyte / July 10, 2018 at 12:54 pm Reply

Need help to publish my children’s short stories. Anyone know the best way forward?

• Mandy / July 13, 2018 at 2:55 am Reply

Hello. I’ve had a short story collection published in the uk (last year) but the publisher has no distribution so it has had low sales. However it has been extraordinarily well reviewed so I now feel I’d like to try and pitch it publishers outside the uk. Publisher is willing, though reminding me that they have world rights. I don’t know how to go about this at all – any advice as to where/who to send it to?

• Bookfox (Author) / July 13, 2018 at 8:07 am Reply

Hi Mandy,

I’d look for an American agent, for starters. If that fails, then you could start cold emailing publishers (I’d target mid-sized indie ones) to see if they’re interested. Most of the time, they want a short story/novel two-book deal.

• Vincent / July 15, 2018 at 7:49 pm Reply

Hello. I have nearly 58 short stories. Mainly fictional life stories. They are all typed on a normal letter sized paper. Some stories are based, but not directly wrote, on true events and/or people. I have stored them in a binder. This would be my first time publishing any type of short story book. I know people that I have introduced those stories to have really enjoyed what they have read. Now, I am very limited on money to get this going hoping for a return. Is there any help out there with this situation? Any Suggestions? Thank You in Advanced, Vincent. Viroqua Wisconsin.

• Bookfox (Author) / July 16, 2018 at 8:14 am Reply

You need a computer file, not printed on paper. And realize that these publishers listed here only accept a very small percentage. If you need editing help, please let me know.

• Vincent. AKA. Holstein. / September 8, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Thank you much for the response! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I’m not at the computer very much or often. If you can provide more in site and what I need to do, please reach out to me. I am new at this and am trying to learn off a very low income budget.

• Ann / September 9, 2018 at 8:20 am Reply

Hello,
    I just want to know about where can I submit my short story?

• Lazarus Trubman / September 23, 2018 at 7:58 am Reply

None of your seven BIG HOUSES has a place to submit! You’re a joke!

• Bookfox (Author) / September 23, 2018 at 9:24 am Reply

Yes, the big houses only accept agented submissions. I would recommend trying the other 37 publishers on this page.

• Pam / October 7, 2018 at 1:01 pm Reply

I love to write, but there is no way I can afford to self publish. Im a widow. I’m hoping someone will read my work and hopefully get published to share my talent and maybe find a new career. There have got to be some good hearted people who would be willing to help me get started. I write on many tops including fiction. Any ideas for help?

• A.F. Cacchillo / October 26, 2018 at 5:57 pm Reply

Trying to get a literary agent for a short story collection is neigh impossible. I emailed 38 agents
    and didn’t receive one reply. It’s basically is a waste of time to contact them. Talk about being independent!

• Bookfox (Author) / October 26, 2018 at 8:47 pm Reply

Yes, literary agents really dislike short story collections. They’re very difficult to sell. But for almost all of the publishers on this list, you don’t need a literary agent to submit to them!

• Penocrat Ayomide Kindness / November 23, 2018 at 11:53 am Reply

I have a collection of short stories. I’ll really need a publisher to go through them. Because peopel around me, don’t even take me serious.