This is a list of publishers seeking short story collections, and it’s the most comprehensive list on the internet.
I’ve read short story collections from most of the publishers on this list and altogether they are publishing some of the best short fiction on the planet.
Despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the publishing of short story collections (and it’s true — agents almost always only want that novel), there are still a number of solid markets and contests for that short story collection of yours.
For the publishers who offer short story collection contests, I’ve tried to list the name of the contest afterwards.
If you enjoy this list, I also hope you enjoy some of the other lists I’ve created here at Bookfox.
I’ve broken up the places to submit your short story collection into three parts: The Independent publishers, the Big Houses, and the Academic/University Presses.
I don’t mean to imply any kind of hierarchy with this, because I think there are advantages to going with each. The Big House will get you more potential readers, the Independents will fight for you with independent bookstores and champion your book, and the University Presses often offer a home for the most innovative and exciting work being published.
The best place to submit your short story collection is with the press that has published your favorite collections.
I know that sounds obvious, but if you dislike some of the short stories that a press has published, they are not waiting for you to convert them by your brilliant (but different) kind of writing. No, they love what they’re publishing, and respect that taste rather than trying to change it.
Go for it: submit your best short story collection now.
- Autumn House Press
- Bear Star Press
- Bellevue Literary Press
- Braddock Avenue Books
- Black Lawrence Press (sponsors of four prizes for short story collections)
- BOA Editions American Reader Series (sponsors of the BOA Editions Short Fiction Prize)
- Catapult / Black Balloon Publishing (both affiliated with Electric Literature)
- Coffee House Press
- C&R Press
- Curbside Splendor
- Engine Books
- Dzanc Books (sponsors of the Dzanc Books Short Story Collection Competition)
- Four Way Books
- Fomite Press
- Fiction Collective Two (sponsors of the Catherine Doctorow Innovative Fiction Prize)
- Graywolf Press
- Leapfrog Press (sponsors of the Leapfrog Fiction Contest)
- Les Figues Press
- Milkweed Editions
- Paul Dry Books (publishes few short story collections, but you can try them)
- Persea Books
- Press 53
- Queen’s Ferry Press
- Red Hen Press
- Soft Skull Press / Counterpoint Press
- Sarabande Books (sponsors of the Mary McCarthy Prize in Short Fiction)
- Scout Press Books
- Small Beer Press
- Torrey House Press
- Transit Books (a lot of works in translation)
- Two Dollar Radio
- Unboxed Books (sponsors of the Unboxed Books Prize in Fiction)
- Unsolicited Press
- Acre Books (offshoot of the Cincinnati Review)
- Northwestern University Press (TriQuarterly books)
- Livingston Press (University of West Alabama)
- University of Iowa Press (sponsors of the Iowa Short Fiction Award)
- University of Nebraska Press (sponsors of the Prairie Schooner Book Prize)
- University of Massachusetts (sponsors of the Grace Paley Prize in Short Fiction + Juniper Prize)
- University of Pittsburg Press (sponsors of the Drue Heinz Literature Prize)
- University of Georgia Press (sponsors of the Flannery O’Connor Award for Short Fiction)
- University of North Texas Press (sponsors of the Katherine Anne Porter Prize in Short Fiction)
- Willow Springs at Eastern Washington University (sponsors of The Spokane Prize)
- Ohio State University Press (sponsors of the Ohio State University Prize in Short Fiction)
- Moon City Press (Missouri State University/University of Arkansas Press) (sponsors of the Moon City Short Fiction Award)
- Switchgrass Books (Northern Illinois University Press — looking for Midwestern books)
- Southern Missouri State University Press (Nilsen Prize, linked short story collection)
- Stephen F. Austin University Press
- West Virginia University Press (Vandalia Press)
- Wayne State University Press (check under Fiction — they publish short story collections occasionally)
Thanks for putting this together!
I am Wahid Noorzai from Afghanistand I have finished the university. I write some short stories and a I believe in mysel which I have this ability to write good short stories and the readers will love my stories and accept them as good stories. If you help me to sell my short stories, I would become pleasant.
I have a Short Story that I think would be good reading and enjoyed by every reader. Looking forward to being a part of BookFox. How do I go about submitting it?
Thanks for taking the time to do this list.
Than you for doing this! Small correction: the Grace Paley prize is at Red Hen now (it’s tied to the AWP, not to a specific publisher).
I have an African short storybook which I would like publish or sell because I have no money for publishing it. Therefore, if there’s any publisher who wants to see it, let me hear from him so that we may talk and I may send it to him to go through.
What word count is standard for a short story collection?
I’d say 45,000 – 55,000.
I have a short story which is very very different and so many more stories can be written from this story. It is based on reality spiritual and fiction.