I’m John Matthew Fox, founder of Bookfox, and I help authors write better fiction.
I’ve been writing on this site since 2006, with nearly 1,000 posts and 3 million annual readers. Over that time period, I’ve helped hundreds of authors write, revise, and publish their books.
How do I help writers? Three ways:
I have a Master’s degree from NYU and an MFA from USC. For eight years I taught writing at the University of Southern California and then at Chapman University.
After I quit academia, I shifted into a full-time job as an editor — not the punctuation and grammar type, but the type that gives feedback on how to improve the characters and storyline.
Currently, I focus on creating writing courses and videos for fiction writers, helping them tell stories that readers love.
My background is in literary fiction, but I read widely across many genres.
My first book, published with Press 53, is called “I Will Shout Your Name.”
My second book is nonfiction: “The Linchpin Writer: Crafting Your Novel’s Key Moments.”
I’ve also published more than forty short stories, and some important people have liked my fiction:
- Ann Beattie awarded me first place in the “Third Coast Fiction Contest.”
- Shenandoah gave me their annual “Shenandoah Prize” for the best story that year.
- Chicago Tribune awarded me 2nd place in their “Nelson Algren” competition, and published my story in their newspaper.
Oh, and Bookfox has racked up some nice compliments from these folks:
How I’m Different
There are a number of big corporations trying to sell you a solution for your book. I’m a little different.
I’m a fellow writer who wants to help you create a great book.
Many publishing companies just put you on a conveyor belt, trying to pump out your book as quickly as possible.
But I care about the quality of your book.
My philosophy is: If you’re going to publish a book, you might as well make it a good one.
- I live in Orange County, California, but love to travel internationally.
- I’m married to a lovely lady and we have eight-year-old twins.
- I also have a labradoodle named Roxy and six chickens.
Sign up for emails and I’ll help you wherever you are — whether starting your first book or publishing your fifth.
If you are interested in sponsoring Bookfox, or want me to speak at a conference or retreat, please contact me below.