These 20 love sentences are not only true, they are also beautiful. I’ve taken all of them from writers of literature, modern ones writing in the last 40 years.
This is your final warning: these love sentences are powerful. Don’t blame me if you need a Costco-sized tissue box.
Watching a sappy movie might make you cry, but reading these love sentences will certainly make you swoon. Words are simply romantic in a way that film and images can’t be. The magic of language makes these sentences about love sparkle and shine.
20 Love Sentences:
2. “To have created love like that out of absolutely nothing — it was a sort of miracle, wasn’t it?”
– Marianne Wiggins
3. “Love blurs your vision; but after it recedes, you can see more clearly than ever.”
– Margaret Atwood
4. “I looked and looked at her, and I knew, as clearly as I know that I will die, that I loved her more than anything I had ever seen or imagined on earth.”
– Vladimir Nabokov
This Nabokov quote is one of my all time favorite love sentences. It’s all-out romantic, with no holds barred. I love how he lays it out so straight forwardly.
6. “I have waited for this opportunity for more than half a century, to repeat to you once again my vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love.”
– Gabriel Garcia Marquez
7. “She was perhaps too young to realize that what she assumed was her love for [him] was actually a tentative, timorous, acceptance of herself.”
– Arundhati Roy
8. “I love you also means I love you more than anyone loves you, or has loved you, or will love you, and also, I love you in a way that no one loves you, or has loved you, or will love you, and also, I love you in a way that I love no one else, and never have loved anyone else, and never will love anyone else.”
– Jonathan Safran Foer
Jonathan Safran Foer is surprisingly romantic. If you reread his novels, you’ll find they’re all about love. And this love sentence covers all the bases, doesn’t it? He loves her more than anyone else will in any time period before or in the future, and promises never to love anyone else.
10. “The love I felt for her on that train ride had a capital and provinces, parishes and a Vatican, an orange planet and many sullen moons — it was systemic and it was complete.”
– Gary Shteyngart
11. “Love is like the rain. It comes in a drizzle sometimes. Then it starts pouring and if you’re not careful it will drown you.”
– Edwidge Danicat
12. “Love was love, one could find it with anyone, one could find it anywhere. It was just that you could never keep it. Not unless you were ready to die for it.”
– Norman Mailer
14. “How mysterious it is, to be in love. For you can be in love with one who knows nothing of you. Perhaps our greatest happinesses spring from such longings — being in love with one who is oblivious of you.”
– Joyce Carol Oates
When I read this Joyce Carol Oates love sentence, I think of being in love with a celebrity. And how nice it is to be in love with someone who doesn’t know you, and painful at the same time.
15. “If there is no love in the world, we will make a new world, and we will give it walls, and we will furnish it with soft, red interiors, from the inside out, and give it a knocker that resonates like a diamond falling to a jeweller’s felt so that we should never hear it.”
– Jonathan Safran Foer
16. I was always hungry for love. Just once, I wanted to know what it was like to get my fill of it — to be fed so much love I couldn’t take any more. Just once. ”
– Haruki Murakami
18. “I am like a falling star who has finally found her place next to another in a lovely constellation, where we will sparkle in the heavens forever.”
– Amy Tan
This Amy Tan one is one of the more unusual love sentences, but I’m including it because it perfectly captures how it feels when you find that special person.
19. “The anticipation and dread he felt at seeing her was also a kind of sensual pleasure, and surrounding it, like an embrace, was a general elation–it might hurt, it was horribly inconvenient, no good might come of it, but he had found out for himself what it was to be in love, and it thrilled him.”
– Ian McEwan
20. It may not happen in the first instant, but within ten minutes of meeting a man, a woman has a clear idea of who he is, or at least who he might be for her, and her heart of hearts has already told her whether or not she’s going to fall in love with him.”
– Orhan Pamuk
Sometimes a single love sentence can tell you more about love than an entire love letter or a whole book.
Check out my other posts about great sentences:
Do you have a favorite sentence about love? Make sure to leave it in the comments!