Writing Coach

Publishers Short Story CollectionsThis is a list of publishers seeking short story collections. It’s not exhaustive, but would you really want an exhaustive list? I’ve read short story collections from most of the publishers on this list and altogether they are publishing some of the best short fiction on the planet.

Despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the publishing of short story collections (and it’s true — agents almost always only want that novel), there are still a number of solid markets and contests for that short story collection of yours.

For the publishers who offer short story collection contests, I’ve tried to list the name of the contest afterwards.

If you enjoy this list, I also hope you enjoy some of the other lists I’ve created here at Bookfox.

I’ve broken up the places to submit your short story collection into three parts: The Independent publishers, the Big Houses, and the Academic/University Presses.

If you’d like help with your short story, I offer an editing service that will take your story to the next level.

From copy-editing to character advice, I give detailed feedback on what’s working and what needs to be improved.

Read more…

I don’t mean to imply any kind of hierarchy with this, because I think there are advantages to going with each. The Big House will get you more potential readers, the Independents will fight for you with independent bookstores and champion your book, and the University Presses often offer a home for the most innovative and exciting work being published.

The best place to submit your short story collection is with the press that has published your favorite collections.

I know that sounds obvious, but if you dislike some of the short stories that a press has published, they are not waiting for you to convert them by your brilliant (but different) kind of writing. No, they love what they’re publishing, and respect that taste rather than trying to change it.

Go for it: submit your best short story collection now.

Big Houses:

If you’d like professional editing for your short story collection before you send it to publishers (or if you’ve been rejected from a few and want to improve it), please look at my short story editing page.

I offer single-story editing as well as short story collection editing.

By editing, I’m not talking about just proofreading or copy-editing, I’m talking about an in-depth evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of your collection, and how to improve them.

• Josh / April 26, 2013 at 4:33 pm Reply

Actually I should have left my comment here. We publish a pocket sized collection of experimental short fiction, funded on kickstarter, nationally distributed. Killing it.

• otis / August 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm Reply

Thanks for this. Otis

• Chris / September 22, 2013 at 11:59 pm Reply

I thought that I’d add one for you that we also accept short stories at Brine Books Publishing.

We are a new publishing house, but have good goals as we are publishing the books in order to try to raise awareness on important human rights issues while raising funds for charities and non-profits that work in the various sectors.

Brine Books Publishing

• Caroline / October 10, 2013 at 9:58 pm Reply

I’m trying to find publishers of short stories that will take me seriously because I’m just 14 and people automatically assume my stories are bad because of my age. This helped a lot so thank you.

• Ndiritu wahome / October 29, 2013 at 6:32 pm Reply

This is interesting, I will get around to send a query to these publishers:)

• C. L Rossman / July 31, 2014 at 8:36 pm Reply

C’mon, would a COMPUTER write a comment about short stories?
    What I wanted to ask was, Are any of you listed up there interested in science-fiction short stories? Please e-amil me. I’ve had more than 20 short stories published in the past few years, but my best markets folded, and now all the liksts have gone on a puying basis.
    PS–Please allow for very slow and tired home computer to reply. Half the time it can’t even get on the net. Thank you. Would really appreciate some input

• Natisha Parsons / August 18, 2015 at 9:04 am Reply

As an unknown and not in the position to self publish, how can I get my collection of short stories noticed? The collection is based on a sermon that touched eight members of the congregation and each story deals with the individual and how he/she responded and, in a sense, their tough, back-to-righteous-living testimony. There are so many obstacles placed by the publishing companies I have seen that I wonder if they only deal with known writers.

• Bookfox (Author) / August 18, 2015 at 9:41 pm Reply

I would work on your pitch more. I would also only contact religious publishers, as it seems this might be a decent fit for them. See if any of these Christian publishers accept short story collections.

• Lydia / September 7, 2015 at 1:15 pm Reply

Good day please assist me. I want to share my life story where do I go about to get it read and published?

• Robin Vigfusson / September 8, 2015 at 8:45 pm Reply

Thank you. This is really excellent. Bookmarking this page.

• WestM / October 28, 2015 at 8:08 am Reply

OK so I have my short story collection ready. For the big houses, how do I go about pitching to them? I’ve looked, for instance, at the Dial Press link you posted. I don’t see ANY contacts listed for queries, and I take that to mean, “Go away, you short story writers,” but I’m not sure how to tell. Advice on who to query, and how to figure out what each place wants in terms of submissions/queries? Thanks.

• Bookfox (Author) / October 28, 2015 at 2:52 pm Reply

For big houses, you need an agent. Many others are also only agented — Tin House, Grove/Atlantic, Graywolf.

That’s why contests get so many submissions — those are the main places where you have a shot.

• WestM / October 29, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Thank you for the quick reply, and I guess this helps me figure out where to begin, since I don’t have an agent. Thank you again!

• Misty Eilert / December 29, 2015 at 2:56 am Reply

My daughter is 12 and just finished the first book of a short story series. This is exactly the information I was looking for, thank you!!

• Rory Fyfe Smith / February 3, 2016 at 4:25 pm Reply

I like to publish short stories too.

• Ines C Rothen / February 23, 2016 at 9:12 am Reply

I am 77 and have published 10 books,. The first three are my autobiography of which two were published by Austin Macauley. I did not know that they were essentially self publishers. Anyhow in the two years the first two were published there has not been a single review. The last of my autobiography I have self published with createspace. Also in the same way my first novel TOBIAS STOLLER’S FARM (blue version). No reviews either (on Amazon). I have a trilogy which I have sent to countless agents and all have refused – nicely saying it was above average but no thanks. I have sent the same to two publishers six months ago and despite polite ‘we let you know’ there is no respons. why is everything so hard? Now I have three volumes of short stories (36 over the three volumes and I have sent off a couple of singles to magazines. Everywhere is a three month wait. I am at the point of giving up. What’s the point! There are too many writers anyway.

• Daniel / March 24, 2016 at 12:27 pm Reply

Thanks for all the great lists.

Thinkerbeat Press: independent publisher, seeking short stories for anthologies.