This is a list of publishers seeking short story collections. It’s not exhaustive, but would you really want an exhaustive list? I’ve read short story collections from most of the publishers on this list and all together they are publishing some of the best short fiction on the planet.
Despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the publishing of short story collections (and it’s true — agents almost always only want that novel), there are still a number of solid markets and contests for that short story collection of yours.
For the publishers who offer short story collection contests, I’ve tried to list the name of the contest afterwards.
If you enjoy this list, I also hope you enjoy some of the other lists I’ve created here at Bookfox.
- Top 100 Journals Accepting Online Submissions
- Top 20 Places to Submit Flash Fiction
- Best Online Literary Magazines
- The Longest Sentences in Literature
- Ranking of Literary Journals
I’ve broken up the places to submit your short story collection into three parts: The Independent publishers, the Big Houses, and the Academic/University Presses. I don’t mean to imply any kind of hierarchy with this, because I think there are advantages to going with each. The Big House will get you more potential readers, the Independents will fight for you with independent bookstores and champion your book, and the University Presses often offer a home for the most innovative and exciting work being published.
The best place to submit your short story collection is with the press that has published your favorite collections. I know that sounds obvious, but if you dislike some of the short stories that a press has published, they are not waiting for you to convert them by your brilliant (but different) kind of writing. No, they love what they’re publishing, and respect that taste rather than trying to change it.
Go for it: submit your best short story collection now.
- Dzanc Books (sponsors of the Dzanc Books Short Story Collection Competition)
- Graywolf Press
- Press 53
- Bellevue Literary Press
- Soft Skull Press / Counterpoint Press
- Coffee House Press
- Sarabande Books (sponsors of the Mary McCarthy Prize in Short Fiction)
- Two Dollar Radio
- Fiction Collective Two (sponsors of the Catherine Doctorow Innovative Fiction Prize)
- Autumn House Press
- Leapfrog Press (sponsors of the Leapfrog Fiction Contest)
- Small Beer Press
- BOA Editions American Reader Series (sponsors of the BOA Editions Short Fiction Prize)
- Queen’s Ferry Press
- Red Hen Press
- C&R Press
- Unboxed Books (sponsors of the Unboxed Books Prize in Fiction)
- Milkweed Editions
- Black Lawrence Press (sponsors of four prizes for short story collections)
- Atticus Books
- Catapult / Black Balloon Publishing (both affiliated with Electric Literature)
- Northwestern University Press (TriQuarterly books)
- Livingston Press (University of West Alabama)
- University of Iowa Press (sponsors of the Iowa Short Fiction Award)
- University of Nebraska Press (sponsors of the Prairie Schooner Book Prize)
- University of Massachusetts (sponsors of the Grace Paley Prize in Short Fiction + Juniper Prize)
- University of Pittsburg Press (sponsors of the Drue Heinz Literature Prize)
- University of Georgia Press (sponsors of the Flannery O’Connor Award for Short Fiction)
- University of North Texas Press (sponsors of the Katherine Anne Porter Prize in Short Fiction)
- Willow Springs at Eastern Washington University (sponsors of The Spokane Prize)
- Ohio State University Press (sponsors of the Ohio State University Prize in Short Fiction)
- Moon City Press (Missouri State University/University of Arkansas Press) (sponsors of the Moon City Short Fiction Award)